Monday, April 21, 2008

Minnesota, here I come!

Erin is complaining because she thinks that maybe a big hairy spider went under her bed.

Last night, I had my first live Palmetto bug encounter of the season. And I know exactly where it went.

I stepped toward the kitchen to heat some milk for my hot chocolate, and that's when I saw It. At first I wasn't sure...uh, no, that feeling of pure horror is pretty unmistakeable. I considered panicking.

But then I thought, "hey, I'm an adult, right?" And so, after fetching my official long-handled Battle Broom I bravely went on the attack. After turning on the light, I approached The Bug. As I got closer, while well armed and in bright light, I realized that I was a heck of a lot bigger that It was and It was still completely horrifying. It started to move. I frantically swatted at it with the broom, smashing it emphatically against the floorboards under the sink.

Heart pounding, I cautiously withdrew the broom. I flipped it over and examined the bristles while also trying not to look. No bug pieces. I looked on the floor. No bug remains. I looked at the floorboards under the sink, where I last saw the retreating monster--and there was a large crack.

Eeeeeeeeewwwww...

And I have to stand right there with my toes right in front of that very crack whenever I want to wash dishes or use the sink.

They keep telling me that the mosquitoes in Minnesota are pretty bad. BRING THEM ON! I will capture them and train my own little squad of attack mosquitoes, and if I ever have to come back into Palmetto bug territory, then I tell you, there will certainly be a reckoning.

1 comment:

Erin said...

The thing about the big hairy spiders is that they have an uncanny affinity for my bed. Not something you want to wake up to. (Especially not more than once. Ugh.)

I think I'll change my sheets. My favorite dark brown is like spider camoflauge, and it's getting to be That Time of Year.